Get to ALL your medical appointments - FREE

FREE transportation thanks to The Ryan White Medical Transportation program

What is covered?

    • Medical - including dental, drug stores, and pharmacies
    • Mental Health - from a licensed provider
    • Substance abuse treatment - from a licensed provider
    • Prescriptions and related treatments
    • Legal appointments - not including probation and parole
    • Care and Case Management
    • Nutrition Education Programs 
    • DSS and Social Services - including government entitlement programs
    • Housing - not apartment searches 

Who is eligible?

  • Living with HIV/AIDS,
  • Unable to access transportation assistance through your insurance provider,
  • Have Medicaid, and
  • Residents of: Albany, Clinton, Columbia, Delaware, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Greene, Hamilton, Montgomery, Otsego, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, or Washington Counties.

Frequently asked questions about our free transportation services

How do I qualify?

You may qualify for transportation assistance if you have a current HIV+ diagnosis and are unable to access transportation assistance through your insurance provider.

What transportation do we cover?

Transportation assistance may be in the form of taxi rides, bus passes, gas cards, and in limited circumstances – bus or train tickets.

Where are transportation services available?

Transportation services are available for residents of the following counties: Albany, Clinton, Columbia, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Greene, Hamilton, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, and Washington.

What if I have Medicaid?

Transportation funds are the “payer of last resort”. You must show proof that you have attempted all other
options for assistance including Medical Transportation (MAS) without success. We will also need to know why you were denied assistance before being accepted into the program.

What if I have a lot of appointments coming up?

The more you can plan ahead, the better! Let us know what appointments you have coming up and we will plan with you to cover it all with one.

How do I obtain bus passes or gas cards?

Bus passes and gas cards are only provided to assist you to get to one of the services listed above. Two
days' notice is needed for the transportation team. Call or email your Case or Care Manager to help.

We will work with you to get you the bus passes or gas cards you need. Anyone at the Alliance for Positive Health can obtain one for you after your request has been approved. If you know you will be seeing one of our team members, let us know and we will make sure they have a bus pass for you.

How do I apply?

If you have a Case or Care Manager, they can help you apply for the transportation program. You can also call 518-434-4686 or email [email protected]. You will need to complete an application form and provide some documentation. Any of our Program Staff are happy to assist you.

Do I need to provide any documentation?

You will be required to provide us with: verification of HIV+ status, Transportation Release of Information (must include vendor list and emergency contact information), signed Consent for Services, signed Transportation Program Client Agreement, and intake assessment .

You may also be asked to provide us with additional releases of information for providers you may use transportation for. This helps us ensure there is no interruption in transportation services.

Doctor notes will be required if you are in need of a taxi in an area that otherwise provides bus transportation. 

Learn more


Share with someone